Collier County 4-H's mission is to create supportive environments for diverse youth and adults to reach their fullest potential. Join us in making the best better!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Good Morning, I hope everyone is having a great summer. Here are a few upcoming events:

The first leaders meeting will be on August 19th at 6:30 pm, we will give out the leaders packets, please make sure that a leader from every club attends.

August the 21st will be the first steer weigh-in for the Collier County 4-H Livestock show. Weigh-in will be from 8:00 am until 10:00 am, the minimum weight is 550lbs entry forms will be available at the weigh-in but you must bring your bill of sail. If you have any questions you can call 239-280-8378 or email curtistuff@aol.com

The Southern Region Volunteer forum, (better known as Rock Eagle) information is updated on the Florida 4-H website. Registration will be due to Trisha by August 23rd.

The results for the State 4-H Horse Show are online! You will find links to the individual class results, overall awards, and Regional qualifiers.

http://animal.ifas.ufl.edu/youth/horse/Shows.shtml

Congratulations to Sofia Curkovic, Clare Sullivan, and Cheyenne Bechtol you did a fantastic job representing Collier County

The updated rules and regulations for the 2010 4-H Marine and Aquatic photography contest are now up on line at http://florida4h.org/projects/marine/state_photocontest.shtml


I’m proud to share that 4-H’s premier summer national conference, Citizenship Washington Focus (CWF), finished its final week at the 4-H National Youth Conference Center here in our nation’s capital just a few weeks ago. Nearly 1500 young people from 28 states traveled to the Center to experience the living classroom of Washington, DC. While participating in CWF, 4-H'ers improve their understanding of their civic and social responsibilities in order to become better citizens and leaders and exchanged ideas, practiced respect, and formed friendships with other 4-H youth from across the country!
At the end of each week, 4-H’ers reflected on what they learned while in Washington, DC and how this week had changed them. I wanted to take a moment to share that impact with you here:
“I've entered another realm of 4-H and discovered a higher meaning of it. This trip will stick with me forever.”
“I have a greater appreciation for the diversity of our country.”
“This program has helped me realize that it’s ok to voice your opinion even if it’s different from others.”

"CWF has been the highlight of my 4-H Career.”
“It made me realize that being a good leader is so much more than just being a good person.”
“I didn't have the faintest idea what a good citizen was before I came here, and now I know it's what I strive to be.”
“What I enjoyed the most about CWF was the fact that I got to interact with people from different communities with different backgrounds than my own.”
“CWF increased my confidence as a leader as well as my ability to make a difference.”

If you haven’t already, take a moment to learn more about CWF at www.citizenshipwashingtonfocus.org. I’d like to encourage you to share the great news of this program throughout your states. Registration is already open for the 2011 CWF program and preferred weeks often fill up fast. Feel free to contact Molly Young, Director of Youth Opportunities (myoung@4HCenter.org) with any questions about how 4-H’ers from your state can take part in this once-in-a-lifetime experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment